Text Box: Hecla Tourism Association

About Us

Hecla Tourism Association

The association is sponsored by the following organizations and businesses:

· Solmundson Gesta Hús

· Hecla General Store 

· Hecla Heritage Committee

· Descendants and Friends of Hecla 

· Hecla Provincial Park 

· Hecla Marina & Harbour Dock Café

· Hecla Golf Course


· The park was established in August of 1969 and opened for public use in 1975. The year 2005 marked our 30th anniversary.

· The Causeway completed in 1972 replaced the ferry service.

· Hecla is 6.5 km wide and 26.5 km long.

· Other islands which are a part of Hecla Provincial Park include Black Island, Goose Island, Deer Island, Punk Island and Little Punk Island.

· Icelandic settlers landed on Hecla in the summer of 1876. At one point in the 1920's and 1930's the population of Hecla was over 500. Today there are nine families living in the village and four families living at the north shore cottage subdivision. Resettlement is currently taking place and our population is increasing annually.

· In 1926 the present Gull Harbour Lighthouse was constructed, the original one was built in 1898.

· There are over 180 species of birds and 24 kinds of animals found on the island.

· Animals found in the park include moose, white tailed deer, fox, beaver, coyote, wolf, lynx, fisher, skunk, bear, raccoons and otter and 1 caribou.

Strawberry, raspberry, dewberry, saskatoon, chokecherry and pincherry are some of the edible berries found on the island.